How come so many work meetings end up going off the rails? You know the meetings I mean. Everyone has the right intention to get something done, but you come away from the meeting frustrated, wondering what was achieved.
Everyone has tips and tricks on how to run a productive meeting. Here are a few of my wife’s suggestions:
- Make sure the meeting has a clear purpose. If you don’t know the purpose, don’t start the meeting.
- Just like a Boy Scout, be prepared. It would be helpful to ensure that others in the meeting are also prepared.
- Let everyone speak. Everyone needs to come away from a meeting feeling that they have been heard.
- Stick to the topic. Don’t let the meeting drift away from the purpose.
- Intervene if you see someone rambling on. This is often easier said than done.
- Wrap it up properly. Ensure you come away with an agreed summary of the meeting and the follow-up actions required.
- Have fewer meetings. Only attend meetings that you should.
Meetings don’t have to feel like a waste of time, stay on purpose, stick to the topic, and you will get more done.
I concur and have shared my thoughts on meetings previously. https://medium.com/the-ascent/28-of-the-most-annoying-things-about-meetings-and-how-to-make-meetings-meaty-f79a70d77f2d